Spike that climate change football! The mainstream media has spent the past few days doing a victory dance in the endzone because of the announcement that 2014 was the hottest year on record based on instrument observations that the earth’s temperature might have increased by a factor of two-hundreths of a degree centrigrade with a margin of error of a tenth of a degree centigrade….meaning that a decrease in temperature was also well within the margin of error. However, that fact did not diminish the triumphal certitude of the temperature increase “fact” by many MSM outets such as the New York Times as chronicled by Newsbusters’ Clay Waters or General Electric Vox which flat out declared, It’s official: 2014 was the hottest year ever recorded.
The Agenda is The Agenda and the truth doesn’t matter!
Actually, a much more accurate Vox title would be, “It’s official: 62% chance 2014 not the hottest year ever recorded.” Why? Because the NASA scientists who were cited in the reports now claim they are only 38% sure which is another way of saying they were probably wrong. The U.K. Daily Mail tossed the cold water upon the numerous MSM happy dances about 2014 being the hottest year on record with this sobering reality check report.
DailyMail: Yet the Nasa press release failed to mention this, as well as the fact that the alleged ‘record’ amounted to an increase over 2010, the previous ‘warmest year’, of just two-hundredths of a degree – or 0.02C. The margin of error is said by scientists to be approximately 0.1C – several times as much.
As a result, GISS’s director Gavin Schmidt has now admitted Nasa thinks the likelihood that 2014 was the warmest year since 1880 is just 38 per cent. However, when asked by this newspaper whether he regretted that the news release did not mention this, he did not respond. Another analysis, from the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) project, drawn from ten times as many measuring stations as GISS, concluded that if 2014 was a record year, it was by an even tinier amount.
Its report said: ‘Numerically, our best estimate for the global temperature of 2014 puts it slightly above (by 0.01C) that of the next warmest year (2010) but by much less than the margin of uncertainty.
‘Therefore it is impossible to conclude from our analysis which of 2014, 2010, or 2005 was actually the warmest year… the Earth’s average temperature for the past decade has changed very little.’
SO WE ARE NOT ALL GOING TO DIE IN A FIERY MAN MADE HELL BY 2040! 🙂
Climate sceptics insisted that the new figures showed the warming ‘pause’ had continued. Dr David Whitehouse, of the Global Warming Policy Forum, said ‘there has been no statistically significant warming trend since 1997’ – because the entire increase over this period was smaller than the error margin.
NB: It turns out there is only a 38% chance that this latest global warming (later change to “climate change” when the preceding didn’t materialize) “fact” is true which means probably wrong. Here is the sad truth for the MSM global warming triumphalists as reported by the Daily Mail:
The Nasa climate scientists who claimed 2014 set a new record for global warmth last night admitted they were only 38 per cent sure this was true.
In a press release on Friday, Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) claimed its analysis of world temperatures showed ‘2014 was the warmest year on record’.
The claim made headlines around the world, but yesterday it emerged that GISS’s analysis – based on readings from more than 3,000 measuring stations worldwide – is subject to a margin of error. Nasa admits this means it is far from certain that 2014 set a record at all.
Yet the Nasa press release failed to mention this, as well as the fact that the alleged ‘record’ amounted to an increase over 2010, the previous ‘warmest year’, of just two-hundredths of a degree – or 0.02C. The margin of error is said by scientists to be approximately 0.1C – several times as much.
WAAAAH! I want my global warming delusions back!
If it makes you feel better, one of the NASA scientists is trying to ease your pain:
As a result, GISS’s director Gavin Schmidt has now admitted NASA thinks the likelihood that 2014 was the warmest year since 1880 is just 38 per cent. However, when asked by this newspaper whether he regretted that the news release did not mention this, he did not respond.
Exit question: What is the probability that all those MSM outlets that reported as a flat out fact that 2014 as the hottest year on record will soon cite the fact that they were probably 62% wrong according to the NASA scientists? 38%? Nil? None? (NB)
THE AGENDA IS THE AGENDA!!
Anything else,especially the truth, is a Thoughtcrime!