Humanity has wondered throughout its history “what is this world coming to.” And every generation believes that those coming behind it are doomed because of their long hair, loud music and curious conduct.
So far, every end-of-the-world prediction has been wrong. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t some things we need to be concerned about.
Here are five recent developments that make us wonder if America is not only in decline but is reeling sharply toward disorder, where up is down, down is up, and character, honor and decency have become anachronisms:
* Riots are becoming more commonplace and, so far, the worst ones have been based on nothing, touched off by uninformed reaction rather than the facts. We don’t yet know why Freddie Gray died. But even if it were police negligence — or, worse, police malfeasance — rioting is not a civilized response. Yet the riots are being excused.
* Worse, the riots are apparently organized events rather than spontaneous acts. An analysis of social media shows that there are links between the Ferguson, Mo., riots of last year and the Baltimore riots. How long can a peaceful society exist under these circumstances, when professional rioters incite violence and promote unrest at whim?
* Meanwhile, University of the District of Columbia Law School Dean Shelley Broderick has told students they can delay taking one final exam if they help protesters with their legal troubles. It’s a hallmark of our legal system that everyone charged with a crime is entitled to legal representation. But this woman is singling out (suspected) violent protesters as virtuous members of the community deserving of special protections. Would she offer the same deal to help right-of-center groups that need representation because they’ve been targeted by the IRS?
* California Gov. Jerry Brown is threatening fines of $10,000 a day — $10,000! — for those he thinks use too much water as the state withers from drought. Meanwhile, the state of California has dumped millions of foot-acres of fresh water into the Pacific Ocean for irrational environmental reasons while people, livestock, crops and lawns parch.
* Our universities are no longer institutions where free thought and open discourse are welcome and encouraged. Those whose ideas differ from the thinking that is required by campus bullies — a league of students, professors and administrators — are shunned. Dissenting voices are shut down and chased off of campus. A focus on trigger warnings, microaggressions and safe spaces has replaced attention to academics.
Also since the government essentially owns the Student Loan market the Universities can just raise tuition because they want to build a new $2 Million statue and then complain that they are underfunded. The Liberals then up the amount for student loans so more people can get in deeper debt and the University can build their statue AND get more money and since they have no incentive to not continue doing more and more of this the tuition goes higher and higher and more people get loans they can’t pay back and it spirals upward until at some point it will crash and their will be a bailout and the cycle can continue.
None of this means students have become delicate daisies who wilt in the face of anything they find even mildly offensive. They have actually become more aggressive toward those with differing views, and this is the way they are telling them to shut up.
No, the country isn’t going to collapse due to these five issues. But they are examples of troubling behavior, of an unhealthy trend. It seems fewer and fewer adults are in charge while childish and intemperate acts, and twisted thinking are becoming dominant in our culture.
And I would add what I call “unenlightened narcissism”. It where you think the universe not only revolves around you and what you want, but that it MUST do so.
That everything you want you are “entitled” to because you want it or some government bureaucrat/politician told you you were “entitled” to it for their own narcissistic reasons.
But it sounded good. “Free” always sounds great until the real price is paid. But since the world revolves around you and only you you don’t give a damn.
And if all else fails, just call them “racists” or “bigots”. 🙂